[RFI] More BPL NPRM comments

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] More BPL NPRM comments
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:06:51 -0800 (PST)
Here is yet another tidbit from the NPRM:

---------------------------------- Begin Quote --------------------------
21.     Southern indicates that it is unaware of any reported cases of harmful
interference from use of its Access BPL technology.   The HomePlug Powerline
Alliance (HomePlug) states that its member companies have widely deployed
In-Home
BPL equipment in the consumer market over the last 2 years and there have not
been complaints of interference.  HomePlug contends that joint testing by the
ARRL and HomePlug has demonstrated a very low probability of interference
between
its devices and amateur radio use.   The In-House BPL industry advocates no
change to Part 15.

They conveniently forgot to mention that the HomePlug equipment notches
out the ham bands (after lengthy discussions with the ARRL).  If Part 15
is adequate to prevent interference, then why did HomePlug implement
ham band notching?  I guess they just like throwing money away on
unnecessary filters!  Remind me not to work for a company that wastes
money on unnecessary filters in high-volume products.  I kinda like my
stock value to go up over time :-)

This will be in my NPRM comments.  Others may want to point this
out as well.