Re: [RFI] TVI

To: "Yuri Onipko" <va3uz@rac.ca>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TVI
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 16:22:59 -0500
Hi Yuri,

A highpass filter is almost worthless for doing anything. The problem is
almost always common mode currents flowing between various wires.

Small common mode chokes like you used are also almost not worth installing.
You need many passes through a 73 mix core to have a high series impedance,
since the bypass impedance designed into the equipment is unknown.

I'd go back and put some real chokes on cores that you know the
characteristics of in the system. Maybe 10-20 turns on a large 2" 73 mix
core. The coax can be a little less, but it still needs several turns
through a high permeability core. It also helps a great deal to be sure the
coax shield is somehow bonded to the safety ground of the electrical outlet
that the TV set uses. You can normally get that connection via an outlet
wall plate center screw, or through a lightning protection outlet strip with
CATV connections, and buy a grounding block for the cable line.

By far the most effective cure would be installing an outlet strip with
built in lightning protection for cable and electrical at each TV, and
running the cable in through each strip. Be sure the strip you purchase
grounds the CATV jacks directly to the neutral of the power line. ALL
devices must power from that strip.

This will then become your "wall".

If still ineffective you should bypass all speaker leads through small
capacitors to that ground and install all chokes on the leads coming to that
point.

73, Tom W8JI