Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?

To: "deni1@tiscali.fr" <deni1@tiscali.fr>,"dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com" <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>,"rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?
From: "Jim Brown" <jimbrown.enteract@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:00:35 -0600
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:37:19 -0600, dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

>CE mark on its label someplace.  That means the unit not only meets the
>European standards for emissions (you hope!), but it should be able to
>withstand at least 3V/m of RF from your station.  Since RF is reciprocal,
>whatever it takes to keep 3V of RF out also helps keep internal emissions
>from escaping.

One footnote to your excellent advice, Dale.

 If I'm not mistaken, CE compliance is written around the EN55103-1 and
-2. The emissions standard is mandatory, however the susceptibility
standard is essentially voluntary, since it simply requires that the
manufacturer state the level of interfering signal to which the product
is immune. Those levels vary from 1 mV/m to 10 mV/m.

That does not change the fact that by reciprocity, design techniques
that minimize emissions will tend to minimize susceptibility. But it
does NOT mean that other mechanisms that might not be involved in
emissions might not be degrading susceptibility.

Jim Brown K9YC
Jim Brown
Audio Systems Group, Inc.
Chicago