RE: [RFI] Metricom wireless network

To: "'David Jordan'" <wa3gin@erols.com>, <dj2001@mn.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Metricom wireless network
From: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:59:17 -0500
That's a good one.  Metricom went bankrupt Ch 7 years ago.

I heard just a few months ago that the company that bought the Ricochet
leftovers was teetering on the brink of extinction as well.

PEPCO had a bunch of their WAP sites and they are all derelict and I dont
expect them to come back...at least not as a public network.

There are probably thousands of the white Ricochet boxes around the DC area
on street lights....all still connected but no longer in operation.

PEPCO is using a product called Utilinet that is based on the same type of
radio and was designed by Metricom but sold off to a real company when they
dissolved.  900 mhz spread spectrum packet radios.  We use them for a
variety of purposes and will be using them for outage management and
probably meter reading soon.  They are in the identical white box to
Ricochet, but not quite the same and totally different network design.

The business model for Ricochet never made sense and it still doesnt for
public broadband access.  BPL is similar...it has no long term appeal.  They
are both too slow and too expensive to survive.

Tyler K3MM