[RFI] RFI From Hell

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI From Hell
From: W1gfh@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:23:30 EST
Gentlemen,

After a year of living with it, and a few weeks (all too brief) respite, my
neighborhood RFI FROM HELL is back.

This RFI is S9 +40db. It is "on" 24/7. It has "spurs" every 10 or 20 kHz on
75 meters, widening to every few Mhz aboove that. The harmonics gradually
weaken and disappear above 30 mhz. I can't find any on VHF, even with a very
sensitive receiver.

(I am pretty sure it is not an arcing pwr line insulator. Listen to the
quicktime movie file [below]. It's too steady and rythmic)

A few months ago, the local cable TV company came by and measured with a
leakage detector (UHF) and found nothing unusual. They replaced my cable drop
anyway. The local power company gave their system a clean bill of heath. I
still
had the RFI.

What bugs me most is that it oscillates/wavers across 30 or 40 kc. It also
more slowly moves up or down the band according to temperature/time of day, so
there is no possibility of phasing it out.

The outdoor TV cable drop radiates this signal VERY strongly. By using a
portable SW receiver and touching the antenna to shield of the TV cable, I can
get
spurs up to 60 mHz.  But nothing above that.

It also appears to radiate from cold water pipes, as well as house wiring.

To review:

-RFI is 24/7, fundamental frequency on 3-4 Mhz.
-Only abated (temporarily) by HEAVY RAIN
-Cable TV company disavows any culpability.
-Utility Co. disavows any culpability.
-Did a "full power down" on my dwelling. No change.

Any insights are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe, W1GFH/6

*Why do I call it "RFI from Hell?". Take a listen. Here's a brief
quicktime/Mpeg/AVI showing the noise pattern on my Icom 756 spectral display.
Truly
horrifying.

http://www.members.aol.com/jtyburczy/DSCF0001.MOV

Also see thread at: