Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] WSJ-BPL
From: "Jim Brown" <jimbrown.enteract@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:51:09 -0600
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:34:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

>You are taking insults where none are meant.

No insult taken or intended, Mike.

But I have seen far too many companies who pigeonhole their engineers
into the narrow boxes you describe. When they do, they hurt their
companies by preventing communication between their engineers and the
outside world (their customers, their customers' needs, and the
exchange of ideas), and they hurt the engineers by preventing their
professional growth. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy -- "our engineers
don't know anything outside the lab" -- but we don't let them outside
the lab, certainly not to a trade show where they might meet customers
and say something stupid. As if they could say something more
embarrassing than the marketing dweebs (often managers) that inhabit
most trade show booths.

Jim Brown K9YC