[RFI] Correspondance with UTC

To: "RFI Reflector " <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Correspondance with UTC
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:03:55 -0500
Thought I'd share this exchange I had with the UTC (United Telecom
Council).  It can be read top to bottom.  I just can't believe he does
not see all the similarities.

I find it interesting that when there's any chance of interference to
utility communications systems, the UTC will go all out to fight it.
But when they want their members to roll out equipment that will cause
interference, it's no big deal.  I've removed the names of the UTC
personnel since my company belongs to UTC and I just wanted to share the
info, not stir up trouble for the writer who gave me his honest answer
even if I disagree with it.

Am I being overly sensitive here to the statement below?: "By
comparison, the BPL NPRM provides specific rules for real equipment
(unintentional radiating RF only a few feet from the line) to provide
real services that are being thoroughly tested ahead of time by
utilities that have a great track record when it comes to interference
and that ultimately bear the responsibility of fixing any interference
they cause."

It seems to imply that HF radio services don't "provide real services".
I keep hearing this theme in many pro-BPL articles.  I guess Tornado and
Storm spotting isn't a "real service" anymore, so I won't be going out
anymore this year and risking my life providing such a fake service
(with much sarcasm!).  And I know we don't use HF for SKYWARN, but
without HF, I won't be active in Ham Radio to do anymore of these fake
services along with a lot of others.

And where the hell did he hear that utilities have a "great track record
when it comes to interference"?  Talk about the Land of OZ.

73, de ed -K0iL