RE: [RFI] BPL....(and more re UTC Meeting)

To: "'BobK8IA@aol.com'" <BobK8IA@aol.com>,"jimjarvis@ieee.org" <jimjarvis@ieee.org>,"RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] BPL....(and more re UTC Meeting)
From: Ed -K0iL <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:01:19 -0500
5) Stick to interference with mobile stations and public safety.
N2EA
------------------------
For years the FCC has let Nextel cause interference nationwide to critical
infrstructure and public safety 800Mhz radio systems, and is now
considering "giving" Nextel free spectrum along with moving some incumbant
PS & CI users probably at their own cost.  No, they have not forced Nextel
to shut of a single transmitter even when they wipe out communications at a
Fire Station!  So what makes anyone think they'll raise a finger to stop a
utility from causing interference to "a guy that just wants to talk to New
Zealand on his ham radio"?
---------------------

2. There wont be any "honest tests" or sales demos. I doubt there will be
even many vendors there who exclusively provide BPL equipment. Maybe
literature,
thats all I would expect.
-----------------
I can't remember what the mailing I have at work said, but I remember
reading they'll be having a "BPL Center" in the middle of the expo.  This
is expensive territory at any expo, so I suspect the BPL vendors will be
there in force this year.  Last year in Houston, I recall about all I saw
on BPL was a few technical seminars, but I was busy with other seminars.
 The company I work for sent a non-telecom guy to attend those BPL
seminars.  (Figures!)
-----------------

5. Jim is correct regarding the predicted mobile intereference. In the
public
safety arena, most of the big orgs are on 800 Mhz or at least have 150/450
as
primary.
I respectfully disagree--See above comments.
There may come a time when all we have left is civil disobediance--We
aren't anywhere close to that yet.  Don't forget that one of the reasons
hams were originally given their own bands and then licensed was due to
interference with commercial ops.  Guess that was too long ago, even though
it's all on the FCC's website under their Wireless History pages.