Re: [RFI] BPL Thought

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL Thought
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:21:26 -0700 (PDT)
The "I don't want to get involved" or "I don't have time" attitude
I've seen on the part of a large number of hams is pathetic.  It seems
to be the prevalent view of the local "shack-on-the-belt" crowd.

BPL is NOT going to be the end of threats to HF (or any amateur frequencies).
Those that don't care because they think BPL won't affect them will eventually
get nailed by some other HF threat that WILL affect them.

Threats to VHF/UHF/Microwave are even more common than HF.  As more and more
wireless networks are developed there will be an ever increasing number
of groups that want to take the amateur bands away.  Here's an example.

I friend and I were in his driveway last fall trying to get my 10GHz
radio/antenna working in time for the 10GHZ Contest.  Another (non-ham)
friend of his dropped by and asked what we were doing.  After we explained
he asked: "So, what do you guys do on 10GHz".  We explained that there
is a 10GHZ transponder on a hilltop; we build 10GHz equipment; we test
it; we go out on hilltops and try to make long distance QSO's; etc.
His comment was: "What a WASTE of useful bandwidth.  I could use that
bandwidth for a UWB (Ultra Wide Band) system.  The FCC should take that
band away and give it to someone that will do something useful with it".

This is the attitude of most non-ham wireless industry people.  Anybody
that thinks our bands are "safe" is smokin' something.

One of the prices of freedom is constant vigilance.  This is also true of
the price for being a radio amateur.  It's about time amateurs stopped
thinking amateur radio starts and ends with the local 2 meter repeater.

RF spectrum: Use it or lose it.
Freedom: Fight for it or lose it.