[RFI] Letter to Bush, US Senators and Reps

To: BPLandHamRadio@yahoogroups.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Letter to Bush, US Senators and Reps
From: CliffHazen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:17:07 EDT
Mr. Bush,
I have read your speech of April 26 on BPL, broadband over power line with
interest and concern.  I have enjoyed shortwave radio listening for years.  The
shortwave radio frequencies are included in the high frequency band spectrum
that has been chosen for BPL.  I also am an FCC licensed amateur radio operator
and experimenter using the same high frequency spectrum who enjoys weak
signal long distance communications with friends and acquaintances around the
world
with similar interests.  I also enjoy and donate time to radio amateur
emergency services communications,  RACES, which is a part of the Department of
Land Security using these same high frequencies.

The United States has long standing international treaties with foreign
countries that guarantee the right and freedom to listen to international high
frequency broadcasts without manmade or deliberate interference.  Saudi Arabia,
South Korea, Japan and/or China could take economic action for interference to
their high frequency radio broadcasts.

Changing the BPL technical standards is political Orwellian speak to only
increase the interference level on our high frequencies by raising the
transmitted and leaked BPL power level.

BPL radio wave transmission over power lines is not scientifically
reasonable.  Power lines leak and radiate a high percentage of the BPL radio
signal
rather than keeping it contained on the power line into the end user building
and
electrical power/ data modem outlet.  Power lines now lose more than 30% of
their power in distribution losses and even higher losses in BPL.  The
technology investment by power companies would have a far higher return if they
spent
it on reducing line losses of power and had that extra power to sell.

A far better more efficient nationwide broadband private industry broadband
system is being developed now using the microwave frequencies and point to
point distribution technology instead of a spray and leak system high frequency
BPL. It will have far greater range before having to be repeated with expensive
equipment and will be the real cost effective broadband nirvana of remote
rural areas.  Why should publicly owned power utility districts financed by
rate
payers be allowed to unfairly compete with current private broadband providers
in suburban/urban areas, telco ADSL and cable internet broadband?

An analogy to BPL over Power lines would be trying to squirt oil from Saudi
Arabia to the United States via the road/highway system, lots of wasted oil and
very unhappy neighbors and car owners.  Enclosed pipelines and tankers just
as point to point directed microwave are far more efficient.

My U.S. Senate, House and Presidential voting decisions will be heavily based
on the BPL issue this fall.

Cliff Hazen N7HIY