Re: [RFI] BPL Protest Opportunity? & BC-AM Ant Improvement?

To: <kd4e@arrl.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL Protest Opportunity? & BC-AM Ant Improvement?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 02:37:22 -0700
> More directly on-Topic for this RFI list, anyone
> know of an add-on BC-AM preamp for the car?  Or
> a source for a better antenna (no room inside the
> fender of my Chevy Astro van for a power antenna
> with a long telescoping whip) -- perhaps a longer
> fixed whip or a coil base that would electrically
> lengthen the antenna without making it absurdly
> tall?
>
> I am told that BC-AM tuner sections are junk in
> all of the new radios and with the coming of
> digital BC-AM there is no incentive to upgrade
> the old analog technology.  Meanwhile I'd sure
> like to strengthen the initially captured signal
> so the engine and environmental noise doesn't
> drown-out the weak ones!
>
> Off to work ...
>
> --
> Thanks! & 73, doc  kd4e
> West Central Florida

I have always found factory radios (at least Fords)
to have pretty good AM receivers. Most aftermarket
car stereos seem to be absolutely awful, however.

If your engine noise is radiated as opposed to
conducted into your car radio, then using a
preamplifier probably won't improve the
signal-to-noise ratio because the noise will get
amplified just as much as the signal. If the
noise is conducted you may be able to
filter the power leads going into your radio.

I haven't looked into aftermarket BC band
antennas, so I can't really offer anything
valuable in that regard.