[RFI] BPL and VHF

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL and VHF
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:36:33 -0000
Folks,

Just a quick forward--paraphrase actually-- of traffic among
AMSAT officers.....

The NTIA's comments in the NPRM expressed concern about contamination
of the ITU defined radioastronomy windows.

AMSATs comments challenged the FCC's lack of consideration of
mixing products with other services, which could easily contaminate
the VHF bands.  This would include air to ground and broadcast, as
well as 6 and 2 meters.

Haynie's call for writing congresscritters and the white house is
important.  I have a sense that the post-election cleanup will
result in some policy changes.  We need to create reasonable sensitivity
to the interference problem.

Sunday night's thundersqualls that knocked out power to northern Virginia
didn't help the power company's case any.  20,000 customers were without
power for over 24 hours as a result of deferred maintenance to outside
plant.
Hopefully, enough of them were congresspeople, or friends thereof.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org