RE: [RFI] need ideas on hunting down QRN-like noise source

To: "Scott Ginsburg" <k1oa@comcast.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] need ideas on hunting down QRN-like noise source
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:53:25 -0500
Nothing at all above 24Mhz?  And nothing at all below 7 Mhz?
Or is that just the range of your antenna system?
You said two noises; have you heard one without the other?  Or always
together?
What time at night does it go away?  10 or 11pm?  After midnite?

It sounds like it might be some sort of device (Part 15?) in someone's
home in the neighborhood.  Particularly due to the times involved; it
sounds like it's associated with a human's activity schedule versus
non-human events like the weather.   It doesn't sound like it would be
powerline noise, although if it is conducted from some distance away,
you might get that freq range due to some weird resonance effect.  It
does follow electrical system loading somewhat (although it should peak
in the morning and then again after work--not at noon).

Since you have noted the direction it's coming from, get a map and plot
a line in that direction.  Then go mobile targeting streets along that
bearing.  Once it gets stronger, find the freq it peaks at, then go
higher to see if the freq range has changed.  If so, go to the highest
freq at which you can still copy it.  Then keep following the bearing
and tuning higher until you're into the VHF high-band (2-meter or
higher).  Then go portable with an VHF AM-mode radio like an Air-band
radio.

If the freq range stays the same, then it's probably a specific device
in a home.  Tune to the edge of the freq range where it's weaker and
continuing to hunt will help you close in on its location hopefully.

Good luck!

73, de ed -K0iL