Re: [RFI] CAT 3 Cable?

To: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CAT 3 Cable?
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:17:21 -0400
You don't have to replace the wiring. Get yourself an old AC brut force line filter from one of the surplus electronic warehouses or buy a new one from Arcade electronics.

I used to run 1KW into a 40m loop about six feet from the phone line drop. There was so much RF on the phone line that you could pull an arch of the interface terminals with a pencil. I had seven of those K-com filters in series and was still getting RFI on the telephone.
I took an old 2.5amp 120vac line filter, put the load side of the filter to the phone line and the line side to the telco line side, grounded the
metal case of the filter and no more RFI on the house phone lines. I ran
Hi-speed data over the line as well without degredation. The AC line filters provide a good match to the phone line and do a great job removing RF.

Good Luck,
dave
wa3gin

Eric Rosenberg wrote:

In trying to calm down the telephone RFI problem in my old house, the
K-COM folks suggested I replace the old, solid, 4-conductor wire with CAT
3 cable.

I'd never heard of CAT3, only CAT 5, and am wondering what it is and
whether it's worth the effort. The reality of my situation (an old house
with plater and lathing walls) is that I can only replace some of the
wiring, not all of it.

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ