[RFI] Recent BPL Comments

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Recent BPL Comments
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:17:45 -0400
Reading recent public statements on BPL from the President, UPLC and ARRL, unlike some other people I am immensely encouraged. Three months ago interference to and from BPL wasn't even mentioned at the top level of our government; today the President declares the intention to make sure BPL and other services can coexist, in the rules to be adopted. UPLC panics and begins throwing bricks; this strikes me as the response of someone who knows they are losing. Meanwhile ARRL reports the collapse of the Manassas, VA experiment.

The fact is that BPL can be made benign vis-a-vis licensed services, but only by fencing off so much of the spectrum (and otherwise protecting licensed services) that it will not be able to deliver on its promise of high-speed internet service at a cost competitive with other delivery systems. With WiMax perhaps only a year away, why would any rational company management invest in BPL now?

I think what we are witnessing is a broad-band exercise in face-saving. It may be premature to rejoice, but I think they're on the run.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at