Re: [RFI] Interesting Wireless Broadband article

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interesting Wireless Broadband article
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:06:39 -0500
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:18:57 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:

>Better yet, I notice that one of these guys who is local to me (in the next
>county over) is trading Internet service for access to high places for
>repeater antennas.  Here's a chance both to help diminish the need for BPL
>(if there ever was any) and get free service.  I've already sent him e-mail
>raising the possibility.

My partner owns a former microwave site where we are setting up a ham
station (see W6BX on qrz.com). He has just arranged to lease space to a
local entreprenour (and radio guy) who is setting it up to serve high
speed internet via WiFi into the sparsely populated valleys surrounding
the site.  His calculations show that we should be able to hit 15 miles
or more where we have line of sight. In my travels, I've seen several
much larger communities that are served in this manner, and in the
general price range quoted on the Roadstar site.

Jim Brown  K9YC