[RFI] Canal water! (& BPL)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Canal water! (& BPL)
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:20:03 -0000
You guys who seem hell bent on ARRL bashing need to get a grip.
It's much better coordinated than you're giving it credit for.

We are 650K licensed amateurs, of whom 170k support the national
association.  That's a major part of the problem.

We have little economic impact, principally because we cannot act
in concerted fashion.  We are threatened by BPL, and we're fighting
amongst ourselves.

The core problem here is simple:  Social relevance.
Is it "chatting with China", or "robust, distributed asset, interoperable
voice and data emergency communications" which is threatened?
We need to be clear in our vocabulary, and how we use it.
WHY are we here?

As for me...I support Ed Hare and Dave Sumner, and the ARRL staff.
They're doing a decent job of fighting the war.  Not perfect, but we're all
human, and in the PR vein, we're dealing with technology ignorant reporters.
Can they benefit from our support?  You betcha.
Can WE benefit from a PR kit and scripts?  You betcha.

Reasoned, rational, measured, vocal--but professional.  That's what we
need to be.  We hang together, or we hang alone!

N2EA

-0-
Given the magnitude of the threat we face, the ARRL should create within
itself a single organization responsible and accountable for defeating
BPL. All activities -- including PR -- should be driven by this
organization. Anything less is pulling punches, which we can ill afford.
No one in this organization should ever respond with "not my bailiwick".

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

 I posted a request for a press kit on this
> reflector a couple of days ago specifically
> for this kind of situation and got no response
> whatsoever.  I'll contribute money to the ARRL
> when they tell me they will use it to hire
> a public relations firm, which is badly needed.
> I'm glad there are at least 2 of us who understand
> this problem.
>
> Rick N6RK

-0-

n2ea