[RFI] Documenting Power Line Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Documenting Power Line Noise
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:07:27 -0500
I live on a rural property in the shadow of a nasty power line.  It runs along
the highway in front of my property.  When that baby is under full load, S9
noise throughout the HF spectrum is not out of the norm.

They've been pretty good about fixing it near my property, but as you drive
along the length of it, most major AM stations are swamped out from the noise
at certain locations.

Recently, that line is down.  They are doing maintenance to a line that runs
perpendicular to it and the noise level around here is nill.  Absolutely nill.
I love it.  I can see the shorting straps connected on the lines to protect the
workers as they replace all the poles on an aging line about 1/2 mile from here.

My question?  How do I document my lack of noise today, so I can compare it to
and PROVE to the power line techs that their line is junk?  I've had them out
here before and they sniff around poles with a gismo that looks like a 450MHz 4
element yagi.  But I'm worried about HF.  The 160M noise off that line has been
known to be +20 over S 9.  Right now it is NILL wil the preamps on.  I want to
be able to prove to them that they are WAY out of compliance and the toys they
show up with to find 'hot spots' is nothing but a joke as the entire line
radiates hash noise throughout low HF.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com