Re: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>, <ve3zi@rac.ca>,<rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:06:18 -0500
At 02:21 PM 9/1/2004 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

If technical people still ran the FCC, BPL would never have
hatched. Unfortunately it is money running the FCC now. The
question is how we get a voice.

No argument with Tom's thesis, but before someone turns this into a partisan wrangle, it doesn't matter who is in the White House. During the previous administration, the FCC changed the rules on 800Mhz to put small business out of the 800Mhz Specialized Mobile Radio business and "turn over" the spectrum to a little company you may have heard of, Nextel. There was a revolving door from top FCC posts to well-paid Nextel jobs, culminating with a directorship for William Kennard when he was replaced as chairman of the FCC: "Job Well Done".

How do we get heard? Your guess is as good as mine. My industry's established lobbying groups were all co-opted by Nextel early on. We formed our own, Small Business in Telecommunications, which had no measurable success (that I know of) in presenting our case.

Ron Feutz, WA9IRV
Air Communications of Central Wisconsin, Inc.
715-424-3050 days
715-423-7662 nights
715-572-3621 cell