RE: [RFI] wideband service availability

To: "'W0UN -- John Brosnahan'" <shr@swtexas.net>,<rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] wideband service availability
From: "Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:54:11 -0400
We moved to Los Altos Hills CA, in 2000, a somewhat-rural area overlooking
Silicon Valley. The absence of broadband availability there was a local
joke, given its proximity to the technology center of the universe. After
failing to convince PacBell to experiment with DSL repeaters, I learned that
Sprint operated a wireless internet service from a tower somewhere in the
east bay -- a considerable distance but possibly in my line-of-sight.
Sprint's initial reaction to my request for service was a knee-jerk "you're
way out of our service area", but I was persistent with the low-level
automatons and was eventually escalated to a fellow who agreed to send out a
tech and measure the signal strength at our home. The tech arrived several
days later, clambered up our roof, and reported his meter pegged. The
resulting installation yielded speeds of 2mbps down and 250kbps up, and
remained reliable during the occasional winter downpours. To this day I
don't know what technology they were using or why they were so reticent to
deploy it, but it sure beat dialup, ISDN, or satellite.

When we sold the house, I passed along this service to the new owner like a
cherished heirloom.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ