Re: [RFI] BBC Concerns over BPL Interference to SW Broadcasting

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BBC Concerns over BPL Interference to SW Broadcasting
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:11:34 -0500
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:34:52 +0100 (BST), Roger Parsons wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3652202.stm

The DRM folks (Digital Radio Mondiale) organized a fine workshop at the
spring international meeting of the AES (Audio Engineering Society) this
spring. I attended the workshop and asked the broadcasters present how
their system would stand up to the BPL systems that are being tried in North
America. The engineer's face turned quite serious, and his response was
that BPL essentially wipes out all international broadcasting, including DRM.
They take BPL as a major threat.

It's interesting, though, how little attention these folks seem to pay to North
America. They were unaware of Ten Tec, and of their DRM-capable
receivers. And even though I specifically told them about Ten-Tec's
receivers in May, no mention of Ten-Tec was made in the story above.

Jim Brown  K9YC