[RFI] Reading FCC ECFS Comments

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Reading FCC ECFS Comments
From: "Linden, Mike (BRC-Hes)" <Mike.Linden@boschrexroth-us.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:32:02 -0500
  Hi folks. I've got a relatively new Windows XP system at home running
Internet Explorer 6 and Adobe Reader 6. The problem I'm having with this
system is that when I go onto the FCC's ECFS system and try to read comments
on a docket like 04-37 (BPL), I get a windows dialog that says "Windows
cannot open this file: File: retrieve[1]". The dialog gives me the option of
using the Web to find an appropriate program or selecting a program from a
list. If I select Adobe Reader 6 from a list, the comment file is opened
properly.

  I've never had this problem on other computers (opening ECFS comments is
"transparent" on my other systems). It seems as if some sort of association
is missing on this computer. However, I _can_ open files with PDF extensions
without a problem. But, the file in this case, "retrieve[1]", does not have
a PDF extension! Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

  Thanks, Michael N9BDF

PS  The "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act" (HR 1478)
and the "Amateur Radio Spectrum Protection Act" (HR 713 & S. 537) are in
Congress. Please contact your Congressmen to ask for their support of these
bills! See the following ARRL link for details:
http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/ <http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/>