[RFI] BPL letter from US Senator Frank Lautenberg - NJ

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL letter from US Senator Frank Lautenberg - NJ
From: "John Gagen" <w2yr@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:42:40 -0000
Colleagues:

Concerning BPL and imminent RFI environmental pollution and interference problems, I wrote three petitions to New Jersey representatives on behalf of our local radio club. Of the three, only Senator Lautenberg had the courtesy to respond to each of the signers of the petition. Senator Corzine and Congressman Pallone responded with only a short "non-committal" reply to the local radio club president and no replies to the signers of the petition.
Needless to say that I am very disappointed and will take my views with me to the New Jersey voting polls this November, as well as urge all my family and friends to do likewise.

73, John - W2YR

Here is an OCR text scan of the letter I received from Senator Lautenberg:

FRANK R. LAUTENBERG
NEW JERSEY

United States Senate
WASHINGTON, DC 20510

COMMITTEES
COMMERCE, SCIENCE, AND TRANSPORTATION
GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS

September 7, 2004

Mr. John Gagen
419 Lincoln Lane
Avon By The Sea, New Jersey 07717

Dear Mr. Gagen:

Thank you for contacting me about broadband technology. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Universal broadband deployment is a goal worthy of the Senate's consideration, and Congress has begun to analyze the best methods by which to increase broadband availability and choice nationwide. Presently, the telephone, cable, and satellite industries, as well as electric utilities, all provide broadband services to residential consumers.

With the Internet and increased broadband demand, electric utilities began exploring Broadband over Powerlines (BPL), which could potentially increase broadband competition and accessibility. Proponents of BPL assert that it is less expensive to deploy than broadband via cable and telephone wires, the actual electric grid already exists, and it is limited by few technical constraints. Opponents of BPL note its effect on licensed radio spectrum, wherein amateur radio users encounter interference on their frequencies by BPL emissions. Government entities have expressed similar concerns, but also express some support for BPL because it may contribute to a more secure and better-managed electric transmission and distribution network.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) began investigating BPL in 2003, and it is currently writing the rules governing the technical deployment of BPL and considering each of the aforementioned policy issues. As a member of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, which has jurisdiction over telecommunications and the FCC, I look forward to learning more about and weighing the effects and implications of BPL, especially its impact on New Jerseyans. As we move forward with this exciting new technology, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
FRANK R. LAUTENBERG

ONE GATEWAY CENTER 23RD FLOOR RIVERSIDE DRIVE NEWARK NJ 07102 (973) 639-8700 FAX (973) 639-8723

HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING SUITE 324
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-3224 FAX (202) 228-4054

2 RIVERSIDE DRIVE