Re: [RFI] RFI / Band Monitor

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI / Band Monitor
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:39:20 -0800
One could use the 24/7 NCDXF beacons. BeaconSee does a very nice job of displaying the beacon signals on the computer screen and will automatically write the image to a file at intervals you specify. If you display the beacons on all 5 bands from 20 to 10, it takes 2 hours to fill the display with, I think, 8 measurements at 15 minute intervals for each beacon on each band. The result is qualitative, rather than quantitative, no numbers, but high noise levels show up quite dramatically.

This doesn't help, of course, for bands below 20m. It does have the advantage of being really cheap and easy to implement, provided your rig can be interfaced to a computer. How cheap? Free if you don't want to automatically file the images. Paying a registration fee ($30?) allows auto save. http:\\www.ip.pt/coaa

Given that you'll be receiving from beacons all over the world on many bands, an all-band vertical is probably the best antenna to use. I use a CC R-5. Works great.

The usual disclaimer applies.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Jim wrote:

Martin,

It would seem to me that some 'standard' QSO
contacts need to be run (scheduled) and the S/N ratio measured and 'recorded', maybe on a daily or weekly basis, demonstrating a negative
slope, to fit in with Ed's comment and philosoply I think.

'Harmful Interference' could then be seen numerically
how it impacts actual QSOs via 'degraded S/N ratios'. By contrasting 'normal' signal levels and 'noise' signal levels in the bands as opposed to absolute signal strengths of 'noise' alone the 'harmful' aspect could be emphasized (however, absolute signal levels are/would always be useful for engineering purposes).

Using a slightly different methology, perhaps some statistics of 'average' received signal strengths from various stations on various bands could be 'established'
as 'figures' for comparison against measured, 'absolute' noise levels later on, and from which a determination, after examination of the recorded data, one could deem that certain noise 'levels' are indeed deemed to be
'harmful'.

One could record the activity on a couple of the more
popular HF nets, including the county hunters net, and
this collected data could be used as a baseline figure as the resident, normal, expected in-band amateur activity against which 'absolute' noise figures could be compared. And the 'noise' need not be active at the same time as the nets are; the two can be compared
at any convenient time, one against the other.

Just my two cents this evening ...

Jim de WB5WPA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Ewing" <martin@aa6e.net>