Re: [RFI] NOISE GADGETS

To: wa3gin@erols.com, w8ji@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] NOISE GADGETS
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:03:52 -0600
Dave and Tom,

Dave, I have to agree with Tom's separately posted comments about the line
filter.

Manufacturers of facility filters (those that are generally wall-mounted
and used in conjunction with shielded "screen" rooms) offer a variety of
filters for power, telecom, and signal control applications.  Again, going
back to my days at Lindgren, I can tell you that every so often I would get
a call from a perplexed customer who could not understand why the telephone
he just placed into his shielded enclosure would not work.  There were two
reasons for most of the problems:  1) Either the customer had a spare power
line (or signal control) filter laying around and figured it would work for
telephone use, or 2), the customer had a telephone that was part of a
proprietary digital-based system.

Power and general purpose signal control filters do not have controlled
line-to-line impedance (necessary to maintain hum-free phone line
operation) and they may have a passband that is too limited and which
severely limits the voice frequency response (supposed to be 300 to 3000
Hz, nominal) of the phone system.  That limited passband, along with higher
by-pass shunt capacitance is what kills the proprietary digital phone
systems.  (In this case, "digital" does NOT refer to DTMF digits; those are
fully within the voice frequency passband.  Some proprietary systems use a
medium speed data stream to support dialing and/or system functions, such
as voice mail, speed dialing, etc.  Conventional filters, even telephone
line filters, kill the data stream and render those phones as useless.

So, use power filters to knock down power line RF.  Yes, in some cases, you
might find a power line filter that allows a phone to work thru it.  That
situation tells me that this is probably not a very good power line filter
because it does not have a lot of shunt cap.  Lots of by-pass Xc + lots of
series  XL = more attenuation.  Filter designers have the difficult task of
balancing the parameters so that what you want gets thru and what you don't
want gets stopped.  My hat is off to those proficient in that art.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

                      David Jordan

                      <wa3gin@erols.com        To:
dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
                      >                        cc:       rfi@contesting.com

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [RFI] NOISE
GADGETS
                      rfi-bounces@conte

                      sting.com

                      11/10/2004 12:52

                      PM

1st, go the the NIC and determine if the RFI is coming in from the
outside phone plant.  If yes see note (A) below.

(A) A common surplus AC brute force line filter will do a splendid job
of removing RF from your house phone lines. Place the line side towards
the NIC and the load side towards the phone instrument/s. Ground the
metal case.

2nd, if RFI is not originating from the outside plant, take precautions
as noted  in (A) and add additional filters at the telephone jack/s
which feed the phone instrument which is experiencing the RFI.

Have Fun,
dave
wa3gin

dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

>My last job back in the Chicago area was at Lindgren RF Enclosures (now
>ETS-Lindgren), located in Glendale Heights.  The company's building was
>located in an industrial park that was directly adjacent to 50 kW AM radio
>station WMAQ, at 670 kHz.  I estimated that our building was about 1500 to
>2000 feet from the base of 'MAQ's tower.  I took some rough spectrum
>analyzer measurements, and it appeared that the steel and concrete
>structure of the building was worth about 40 to 50 dB attentuation,
>relative to the 670 kHz signal just outside the walls.  Amazingly, there
>were no phone system problems within the building.  Now, also adjacent to
>the WMAQ tower area (around the corner from the industrial park) was an
>apartment complex, built with frame construction.  Over time, a few
>Lindgren employees did live in that complex.  Some of them came to me with
>complaints that they could not use their home telephone because of WMAQ's
>signal.  Luckily for them, I had a stash of ferrites that I had gotten
from
>Lindgren's Elmag filter division (now, no longer in business) that were
>used in certain facility filters.  These ferrites were about 2 inches long
>by 5/8 inch diameter with a roughly 1/4 inch hole thru the center.  I
>suggested that they take the ferrite home, unwire the phone from the line
>connection, pass the line thru the ferrite as many times as possible, and
>then reconnect.  I also advised them to use as short of a cord as possible
>between the phone body and the handset.  As far as I know, it worked every
>time.  Problem:  I never did get the specs on that ferrite!
>
>Best wishes with your projects.
>
>73, Dale
>WA9ENA
>

>                      "Jim Brown"

>                      <jim@audiosystems        To:       "RFI List"
<rfi@contesting.com>
>                      group.com>               cc:

>                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [RFI] NOISE
GADGETS