[RFI] RFI From 2003 Toyota Tacoma

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI From 2003 Toyota Tacoma
From: john heinrich <nd6h@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:40:38 -0800 (PST)
I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR 5 Extra Cab truck with a 2.4 ltr 4 cyl. I have
an Icom 706MK2G in the truck and the antenna is a tarheel 100 mounted on the
driverside rear in a fold over hitch mount. The Antenna  mount attaches to the
rear of the frame rail. I have a ground strap going to the antenna. I have tied
all the body panels together. I am getting static on 20 and 17 meters when the
engine is running.( I think it is presant on all the bands bellow 20 meters as
well, but due to the level of static usually presant on these bands I am not
possitive) 15, 12 and 10 meters are not effectedThe signal strength is s5 to s7
and does not change when the engine rpm is increased with the gas pedal. When
the Idle speed is kicked up via the engine control computer there is a slight
change in the static. I have a good ground on the radio. The interferance stops
when I disconnect the coax from the antenna. I have tried tracing the source of
the interferance using an RFI sniffer and I h
 ave
 found several different locations, and I think the source location is the
engine control computer. I am now trying to find a way to trace the exact wire
or wires  broadcasting the interferance. I am also not sure how to eliminate
the problem once I locate the source wires.

 I was able to stop the interferance once when I tried grounding the airflow
sencing module. The Check engine light also came on due to the ground. I
believe this temporarily shut off the computer. I turned off the engine and
waited a few minutes after ungrounding the sensor and then started the engine
again. the check engine light was now off and the interferance was back.

John ND6H