Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI

To: "Brian Goldsmith" <brian.goldsmith@echo1.com.au>,<rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:28:10 -0600
> The 8 conductors in that cable are actually 4 pairs of twisted cables.  Each
> pair is a "hot" and a ground return.
>
> ***Ford and the list.This is not quite true,CAT5 cables and connectors are
> designed to be balanced with respect to ground.If one side or the other
> (normally nominated as + and - however nothing to do with DC polarities) is
> connected to ground then the balance is destroyed.Normal copper telephone
> lines are balanced wrt ground and the "CAT5" cabling was designed to
> continue the balance into consumers premises.
>
> Brian Goldsmith.

I respect your correction.  But my point is absolutely true.  Each "pair" is
designed to work as a pair.  Wiring the cables in ANY configuration that
retains the pairs the way they are designed will retain the 'shielded' nature
of the twisted pairs.

John-W0UN was good enough to find and post an excellent on-line tutorial about
how to wire the cable connectors.  Follow the accepted norms and you will be
fine.  I'm willing to bet my next paycheck that the noise will be gone if they
are properly shielded by retaining the 'pairs' in the proper sequence.  My
reference to + and ground return was for illustration only and had no intention
of indicating that they are DC biased...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com