[RFI] RF Noise Identification Website Update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RF Noise Identification Website Update
From: k.alexander@sympatico.ca
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:20:22 -0500
The RF Noise Identification Website (http://www.ve3hls.com) was updated tonight
with
the addition of 14 new noise files in MP3 format.

Several of the new files remain unidentified.  Maybe you will recognize one and
can help
to identify it.  There are also new recordings of some noises from known
sources, such
as:

- cable internet router
- electronic insect repeller
- 5-port ethernet switch
- Toshiba cable modem
- high pressure sodium streetlight (in the process of failing)
- camcorder battery charger

The purpose of the website is to help hams and SWLs like you and me to identify
the
noises (QRN) that intrude on our listening.  The site contains a growing
library of
recordings in MP3 format that you can download or listen to while online.  The
recordings are of various types of noises from known sources and some that
haven't
been identified.  I have also included small waveform images that provide an
additional
"fingerprint" for identification.  My hope is that users will visit the site if
they have QRN
problems and be able to identify noise that's bothering them by comparing it to
the
recordings.

I would also greatly appreciate contributions in the form of recordings of
noises at your
location as well.  I will convert them to MP3 format and add them to the web
page (with
credit to you) for all to listen to.  WAV or MP3 files, audio cassettes or CDs
will be
gratefully accepted.  See the website for additional details.

Thanks and 73,

Ken Alexander, VE3HLS
http://www.ve3hls.com