Re: [RFI] TV cable splitters

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV cable splitters
From: wng@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:26:14 -0500
Gentlemen,

All of the one-port-to-two-port, passive splitters I have seen (to date)
consist of a three-port asymmetrical un-un, using ferrite cores and one
turn of fine magnet wire.

Of course, the theoretical loss from in to out (or out to in, if used as a
combiner) is 3dB, but the additional losses just due to the F connectors
(and the quality of their installation) probably approaches another 3dB as
frequency approaches 1 GHz (Why do you think we use SMA, SMB, N, TNC, C
and even more exotic connectors as frequency increases?)

Other losses (I**2 R, dielectric, hysteresis and stray coupling) may add
another dB or two.  This is why there is usually no circuit board (Cheap
stuff is too lossy.), just components supported by wire leads (Ugh).

Cheap couplers are usually unmarked or marked -7dB; the professional CATV
are usually -4.5dB.  This makes me suspect that the connector losses are
customarily ignored.

Any instrument that measures loss through a properly terminated coupler as
less than -3dB should be returned for calibration!

Bill Gilmore, Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer
Core EMC, Electrical/Electronic Engineering
Powertrain Component EMC / Rear Wheel Drive, SRT & HEV Platform EMC

"Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
02/02/2005 01:44 AM

<w3stu@arrl.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>