Re: [RFI] DSL surge protection

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DSL surge protection
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:48:27 -0600
Protect your DSL modem with whatever you can do on
the telephone line.  And protect your computer by using
a WiFi router to the DSL modem.  That is about the best
you can do to protect your computer and everything that
it is hooked to (printer, rigs, displays, etc).

If ten to twenty feet of physical separation won't do the
job then the lightning was pretty serious!   ;-)   A DSL
modem and a WiFi router is not really my idea of a fuse.
But they are relatively cheap compared to everything
else and will protect the rest of the gear.  So they meet
the "definition" of a fuse.

What damage I have had here at the new QTH has been
from spikes coming in the phone lines and NOT the power
line.  The tech noted that the connections on the phone
company's gas tubes for lighting protection were pretty badly
corroded.  Proper maintenance would indicate that these should
be inspected from time to time and that the gas tubes should
be changed out from time to time if they have had some strikes.

--John  W0UN