Re: [RFI] AC line noise

To: "'Jim P'" <jvpoll@dallas.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AC line noise
From: "Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:04:35 -0500
Yes it is very common to get noise from all over the local area while
monitoring close to the grounds, meters, poles or almost anything else
electrically attached. The reason is any noise produced in your home or
another close by will radiate and use the electrical system as an antenna.
When you get close to any part of this system you're putting your antenna
close to the antenna the noise is radiating from. Your radio wants to hear
what ever it can and does.
The noises you detect are usually confined to the secondary system, meaning
the homes that are on the same transformer. However this is a rule that may
be ignored by stronger sources.
Go to my web site and check out the instruction sheet on "How to locate the
residence" http://www.rfiservices.com/residence.htm. This will give some
good info on locating the residence. Remember know matter how much you
believe the source can't be in your home always check your home first using
the method described in "locating inside sources"
http://www.rfiservices.com/tips.htm.
I think you described your noise as on 24/7. Power line sources typically
disappear with wet weather and usually with night time. Although somewhat
delayed. This isn't 100%.
Best wishes,
Mike Martin
RFI Services