Re: [RFI] electric fence interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] electric fence interference
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:32:25 -0700
Typical electric fence problems are plant growth touching the wire, wire
falling out of insulators and arcing to other fence parts, improvised
"insulators" made from who knows what scrap material, rusty terminals on
the charger, and bad connections where the fence wire is poorly spliced.
Everything in the fence must be properly insulated or reliably joined;
so-so workmanship and materials cause trouble.

Talk nicely to the fence owner about how you can hear the fence arcing, and
how that might ignite dry grass or weeds (it does happen!). Also how the
fence may not be working as effectively as it should. Often they will be
happy to walk around with you looking for trouble spots, but some folks are
just plain difficult...

My next door neighbor has a working electric fence (how do I know? Can you
say OUCH?). It gives me no RFI problems, so it is possible to have an
RF-quiet electric fence.

73 and good luck,
--Tim (KR0U)