[RFI] Power Line Noise in Mexico

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Power Line Noise in Mexico
From: Sergio Orozco <xe1ct@yahoo.com.mx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:19:28 -0500 (CDT)
Hi to all,
My name y Sergio, my call is xe1ct. I have been
reading the RFI list for some time now and I wonder if
you can help me with this.
I have a terrible power line noise here (S5- S9) from
40 ? 10 mts.  I?ve been using the MFJ-1026 in order to
have a noise reduction, it works fine but the last two
hot weeks the noise was just terrible.
Here is a brief description:
I have 2 element Quad @ 55ft on the roof, radio is
FT-100MP, I have a ground system (5 rods 8ft long
interconnected by 2? copper strap buried 1ft), 2 coax,
rotor and remote switch wiring with lighting
protection. Two power lines, one set of 3 wires 13Kv
at 20ft (yes 20ft, I live in a corner, so besides of
my hose they just installed a new branch line but the
noise was there before) and the other set 3 wires
115Kv at 60ft., none has a lighting arrestors on its
hardware just the ordinary insulators. Beaming my
antenna to the power lines (NE) the noise increase to
S9 (is exactly the path to Europe), if I put the
antenna to South America the noise drops to S5.
I have been reading about common mode noise, so I
wonder how to know if you have it? . Changing the quad
from horizontal to vertical would help?  I know the
problem is outside of my house I have checked many
times. The problem is weather related; as I described
earlier when it is dry it is worst, we have had some
soft rain and the noise just dropped a little.
Calling the power line company here it just doesn?t
work, it belongs to federal government.
Any help will be very welcome.

Sergio, xe1ct