Re: [RFI] Maytag Noise Generators

To: "Rfi@Contesting. Com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Maytag Noise Generators
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:17:08 -0700
Kirb,

I don't know the specifically Canadian regulations and had to look them up.
Industry Canada has some tips. See
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/sf05473e.html

Unfortunately, it appears Industry Canada may exempt digital devices in
appliances from  meeting radiated and conducted emission limits:

ICES-003
Spectrum Management and Telecommunications Policy
Interference-Causing Equipment Standard
Digital Apparatus

(excerpt)
1.2.2 Sections 3 to 7 do not apply to digital apparatus used:
(i) the primary function of which is to apply energy to a process or
material
through the action of an electric motor or a resistive heating element;
(ii) that draws a steady-state current that does not exceed:
(A) in the case of an electric motor, 20 A RMS;
(B) in the case of an electric heating element, used either alone or in
conjunction with an electric motor, 50 A RMS;
(iii) that operates from an alternating current voltage supply that does
not
exceed 150 V RMS; or ...
(source
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ices003e.pdf/$FI
LE/ices003e.pdf )

Harmful interference is still forbidden, of course. Check out the video at
the first URL above.
Maybe it will help. And good luck!

Cortland
KA5S