Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash

To: "'Frank Brady'" <ftbrady@sbcglobal.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash
From: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:02:51 -0000
Consider the possibility that what you are hearing is ethernet trash.

If you have a PC network in your apartment or your neighbors' apartments; OR
If you or anyone near you has a Cable modem or DSL modem that is connected
to a single PC or a network of PCs through an ethernet cable --

that's likely what you'll hear.  14.029 seems to be the strongest carrier at
my QTH, but there's multiple carriers and modulations evident here, spread
over a couple of megahertz.

Possible solutions:

1.  Pass EACH end of EACH ethernet cable through appropriate toroids as many
turns as possible.  (I'm using a Type 31 prototype as an experiment; it does
a great job with three or four turns of the CAT5 cable through it, but I had
to break off the snap-lock tab to get the connector through the toroid.)

2.  Replace ethernet connections with WiFi connections.  (You'll probably
still need a short ethernet cable between the modem and the Wireless Access
Point, but at least you're then down to a single ethernet cable to filter.)

3.  Move.

As to #1 and #2 above:  Been there, done that.
As to #3:  As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."  Moving
wouldn't help me unless it was so many acres I could get my antennas far,
far away from my shack.

GL.
Bud, W2RU