Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash

To: "Jay Bareman" <Radio_Q@mchsi.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash
From: Frank Brady <ftbrady@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:01:43 -0500
Thanks Jim,
The pwr line guy had his rcvr connected to my antenna in my shack.
He was perplexed that he couldn't hear the S5 roar that my TS140 hears.
I think his expensive receiver is designed to "hear" the stuff they are
looking for, not the junk our sensitive comm rcvrs hear.
My antenna is a 20m/30m fan dipole 30 feet above ground in the attic of my
2nd floor apartment.
I have gone through all of the ckt brkr routine here in my apartment - the
noise persists even when brkrs are all off

Our building has 16 units - 8 meters on opposite ends of the building.
I have also sniffed the 8 meters at our end of the building - no noise with
my portable short wave (non directional whip ant).
I have NOT shutdown any of those 8 unit ckt brkrs (not that brave yet).
I have NOT sniffed the other 8 meters - they are so covered by dense bushes
its a difficult task.
Your alarm system (and any other battery backed noise sources) is very
interesting !
Our apartments ARE equipped with optional alarm systems (which we opted not
to pay for).

One final note:
With all of my apt ckt brkrs OFF, I can sniff a VERY loud buzz on my
portable short wave rcvr when I put its whip antenna near our bedroom
ceiling fan.  I have explained this to K3RFI Mike Martin rfiservices.com
and he agreed that this must be because this relatively large mass of metal
connected to the power wiring is a good antenna to pick up the noise.  The
correct procedure from this point (aside from battery backed noise sources)
is probably to start shutting down OTHER apartments one by one until the
noise near my fan goes away.  It's just a matter of when I can summon the
courage to do this.

If the noise is in the alarm systems, I have a feeling that my neighbors
(who are complete strangers) would be VERY suspicious of someone wanting to
"sniff" around their security systems - but maybe that's a projection of my
own paranoia?

73,
Frank W0ECS