Re: [RFI] Fwd: A `Time Bomb' Sits Atop 30, 000 Utility Poles In State

To: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: A `Time Bomb' Sits Atop 30, 000 Utility Poles In State
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:48:33 -0400
Thanks, Tom - interesting piece.  Our HV distribution here is 7500V, so our
cutouts may not be the same series, but it strikes me as worth asking.

Also, this may belong on Towertalk, but this procelain cracking phenomenon is
far from confined to powerline insulators.  I installed the jonny-ball
insulators on my bottom set of guys upside down, so that the unglazed surface
is up.  Recently I noticed that all the insulators are only part
there,evidently as a result of freeze-thaw cycles and water in the porcelain.

73, Pete