Re: [RFI] RFI Detector?

To: rich@n7tr.com, RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Detector?
From: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 02:27:42 +0000
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:18:25 -0700 "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>
writes:
> What are people using to track down RFI sources?  I have a bunch of
> noise here at a new QTH and not much around me. Looking to buy
> something
> that I can walk around the property and house to see what is
> creating
> the noise.

I use a MFJ line noise meter (#852) that receives AM on the 136 MHZ
aircraft band and it's equipped with a homebrew Moxon antenna
and a homebrew step attenuator.  The antenna was described
in QST along with a receiver one can build.  The attenuator has steps
of 6, 10, and 20 DB.  Both the antenna and the antennuator are easy to
build.

IMHO, the antenna that comes with the MFJ is next to worthless
for any serious RFI'ing, but the receiver works great.

73,
Charlie   N0TT