Re: [RFI] BPL news today's WSJ

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL news today's WSJ
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:46:56 +0000
Right. there are some "if"s. Ed also included some conditionals. here's the link to his assessment, for lack of a better term:

http://www.eham.net/articles/12770

I am also hoping that the higher frequencies will result in a shorter radiated distance from lines.

Look folks, i get the feeling that you all have somehow lept to the conclusion that I think this is okay. I don't think that at all. I am however, a realist. This isn't going away any time soon. The FCC is essentially ignoring hams. All the engineering studies, the rational scientific analyses are being swept aside. If the ARRL had NRA level fund raising and a multi-million dollar war chest, there would be the bucks needed to hire top drawer lawyers such as Gerry Spence and his staff plus an army of lobbyists and they might be able to go into federal court and get an injunction on depolyment based on the obvious uneven part 15 enforcement on this v. agressive enforcement of other kinds of power utility RFI such as arcing insulators. But the $$$ just isn't there to take this to that level. The only thing that's really going to stop this train are market forces, i.e. DSL, cable, wireless and satellite pricing BPL out of existence, and hopefully, the adoption of less invasive versions such as the one Motorola is working on.
Read the lastest ARRL news item on these guys getting 40 db over S9 RFI in Manassas Va. for how long--a year?--and the FCC hasn't done jack. If it had been an arcing power pole, Hollingsworth would have been all over them by now. the 30 to 50 mhz thing isn't great, but I bet if those guys in Manassas had a choice between it and what they have now, they'd go for the 30 to 50 mhz bpl and hope it goes away asap. Wouldn't you?

Rob / k5uj

p.s. while i blame the current administration for promoting this, I have no illusions about anything suddenly changing if we have a majority political party change in Washington. I think both parties are equally uninterested in ham radio.