Re: [RFI] BPL redux

To: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL redux
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:45:09 -0500
 Mismanagent of, and ignorance of, the state of an
> in-house computer that monitors/guages the
> 'state' of power flows in the FirstEnergy control
> area* was the major cause of the blackout in
> Aug. 2003. (There were maintenance issues with
> HV Transmission lines, namely, extended tree
> trimming scedules, that exacerbated the situation
> and, in fact, may have been the kick-off event
> that precipitated the blackout. BUT, proper
> supervision could have allowed re-routing of
> power flows or 'shedding of load' had certain
> information systems been operating.)

You should see how FirstEnergy maintains lines around
Cleveland OH.
It is too sad to be funny.

I saw primaries laying on wooden cross arms, a neutral or
ground wire spanning poles that broke off the insulator on a
span and was at a height where I could actually touch it (it
was like that for months) and a HOT 240V drop line that was
coiled and tied to a pole at ground height with a rope,
without even taping the cut wire ends to keep kids from
touching them.

This whole utility thing is a mess.