Re: [RFI] Touch Lamps

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Touch Lamps
From: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:37:05 -0500
That bandwidth sounds a little large for typical Taiwan non-UL listed touch
lamps, so maybe it's something else.  I have found most lamps to be around
40-50Khz wide every 170-180Khz (oscillator freq).

One thing I noted while hunting down and cleaning up several
touch-controlled lamps was the fact that the freq of the strongest signal
depended on which part of the house or which circuit the lamp was plugged in
to.  I found one outlet in my house where the noisiest lamp was totally
quiet.

The fun thing about touch lamps with 3-way bulbs that are close enough to
you is when you can control them with your HF signal.  I was able to
convince one neighbor to sell his at a garage sale and I never had to even
speak to him about it! ;-)  They just got tired of it going on & off in the
middle of the night.  I could tell I was switching it because the freq of
the bandwidth shifted up each time I transmitted on CW.  Three time up, then
back down again on the 4th time (off).  They were new neighbors and didn't
know I was a ham or what the antennas did.

73, de ed -K0iL