[RFI] UPS interference/Recommendation Request

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] UPS interference/Recommendation Request
From: Alex <extraham@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:19:56 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi there,

I purchased a Cyberpower BC1285C UPS yesterday and found immediately that it is
generating TVI on the video carrier of broadcast channel 5, 77.25 MHz, when
just plugged in and while it's still off. The interference propagates through
the power cord and I can suppress it for the most part with about 10 ferrite
VHF snap on cores. I will set up a web page to document this interference
problem and inform the Cyberpower company. A quick test on the ham bands
(MF-UHF) did not reveal any interference there yet. I have to do more tests to
be certain.

Here's a link to the UPS:

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/BC1285C.asp

I have very little experience with UPSes in an Amateur Radio setting, so I
wonder how typical this is and if there's a known good RFI/TVI free
alternative. I need about 1000VA. Perhaps it's wiser to keep this UPS if the
channel 5 interference is the only interference it generates?

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com