Re: [RFI] Ambient Noise Levels

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ambient Noise Levels
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:58:25 -0500
Jim,

Are you saying that you hear power-line (and other
non-intentionally generated, incidental) 'noise' (like
blenders, brush-type drill motors and the like) originating
from far away, e.g. hundreds of miles, and the signals
will 'propagate' having been created in large numbers
from populated areas into signal strengths at distance
that are then heard as wideband continuous noise
sources when band conditions are favorable? -

- or just more signals that are intentionally man-made
(e.g.foreign broadcasters or overseas ham ops) and thus
appears as wide-band nearly continuous white noise
'spectra' (white noise - a kind of rushing noise as like
strong winds or an unsquelched FM receiver might
produce)?

I don't know that the heart of the question has truely been
answered yet as I have questions as to what is actually
and specifically being cited here as the 'source' here of
the noise. I contend that the bulk of noise for S4 level
noise is man-made from electical and electronic devices
nearby (on the order of  3 or 4 residences in any given
direction. I've had sources on 20 M half a block away on
the same distribution circuit that had noticable impact
on the PSK31 20 M subband.)

 Jim P