Re: [RFI] Philips Energy Saving Bulbs?

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Philips Energy Saving Bulbs?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:09:34 -0800
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:47:40 -0500, Eric Rosenberg wrote:

>Before I buy them, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with them
>-- are they noise generators?

CA electrical rates are VERY high (a graduated scale that works out to
be roughly 3X what I paid in Chicago for the same kWh). My first
electricity bills put me in serious energy efficiency mode, and one of
the things I needed to hit hard was lighting. I've replaced nearly all
of my conventional incandescent light bulbs with the functional
equivalent to what you're asking about. I bought the 75w and 100w
equivalent bulbs that Costco is selling in packages of 4.

When I first bought them, I listened carefully for noise on the ham
bands and heard none. After roughly 3 months, still no problems, BUT: I
have seen correspondence to the effect that they may get noisy over
time. Here in CA, it seems that virtually all AC wiring is exposed (that
is, no conduit), and none of it seems to be twisted pair, so any trash
on the line is going to radiate.

73,

Jim K9YC