Re: [RFI] Humming "Telephone" Poles

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Humming "Telephone" Poles
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:10:14 +0000
I think you are hearing the wires vibrating in a gentle breeze, somewhat like a violin string. I have noticed the same thing with telephone and electric power poles too. But I also notice it with my 135' dipole antenna which is supported at its mid point at the 119' level on my tower, with about 450' of Philystran cable attached to each end and running to 25' wooden poles in each direction, located at the property boundaries. The Philystran is stretched tightly enough to pull out nearly all the sag (about 200 lbs tension on the cable), leaving the ends only about 20' lower than the mid point. I notice that it sometimes sings loudly when there is no perceptible wind, especially under cool clear wx conditions.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/