Re: [RFI] Hyperlan interference

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Hyperlan interference
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:55:00 -0800
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 12:49:03 +0100, Marco Spalluzzi wrote:

>Probably it's an overload coming from some FM radio stations tx between
>88 and 108 MHz, or maybe a repeater-studio link of one or more of these
>stations.

If you're right, what you need are common mode ferrite chokes on the LAN
cables that are connecting the RF link to your Ethernet system (and maybe the
power supply).

Don't be too sure that you are right about the source of the RFI though --
take a spectrum analyzer (or broadband receiver) to the site and poke a bit.
You may find other sources, including AM broadcast, variable speed motors,
and power quality.

I've written a tutorial that, among other things, includes advice on the use
of ferrite chokes to suppress RFI.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

It's a free download. Pay careful attention to the discussion of Threshold
Effect.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC