Re: [RFI] Noise is everywhere

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise is everywhere
From: David Garnier <dgarnier@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 11:24:31 -0500
Hello,

I worked in EMC compliance for a major medical electronics manufacturer
in the mid-west,
I want to comment _on this thought_ and give you some *historical
reference* as to why the FCC
isn't proactive in this department...

For the most part, you can thank the folks who design and build the wide
variety of consumer electronic switching power supplies. In the last year I
have found 2 mobility scooters with switching power supplies running their
internal chargers that blot out 7, 10 and 14 MHz nicely. I have found 2
cordless phone battery chargers that put lines on Channel 9 television. At
least 5 larger style battery chargers ( for charging marine batteries and
such) that make great 1-28 MHz QRM generators. Big switching power supplies
for an elevator controller, one satellite dish switching power supply, a
no-name DVD/VHS tape player, several photocells.....  the list is endless.

The FCC has made it clear it's not going to regulate issues that it
considers as "quality control..."  The FCC only became involved in regulating
radiated emissions to *protect the emergence of the television business*
hence the design of 10 meters & 30 meters open air (OATS) radiated emission
test sites and specialized measurement antennas (designed by an FCC employee
by the name of "Roberts."  ((Years ago Roberts wrote a seminal book on his
FCC work, I have PDF'ed sections of it.))

It is _my opinion_ (and others in the compliance field) that unless something
really "bad" happens, (people are hurt or killed) the FCC will *not become
proactive* in the compliance business.

In the medical electronics business, it's not the FDA the drives patient
safety - it is the Europeans! It's the Europeans (EU) who are driving the
development of EMC regulations for *many years.* Forget depending on the
FCC on doing anything proactive unless in concerns _loss of life_. (From a
patient prospective, this is a good thing.)

/The FCC is more responsive to lobbyists and their groups concerns./ Ask
yourself, "Why should the FCC become active in matters of _digital media
content protection_ compared to _software defined radio_?"

Cheers,

Dave Garnier - wb9own