Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:35:45 -0700
To add to Mike's comments, I lived for 20 years within 200 feet of a 115kv line
which crossed over my property and I experienced no RFI or other problems
whatsoever. If anything, I considered all those overhead lines as auxiliary
antennas to which I could inductively couple. Granted, the power company (NYSEG
- NY State Electric and Gas covers much of upstate NY) had rights-of-way
privileges underneath the lines limiting what I could build or erect within the
ROWs, but the NYSEG personnel, knowing I was a ham often contacted me to
determine if I was experiencing any RFI that I thought might be originating
from their lines. On occasion, a lightning storm or auto accident might cause a
local outage and NYSEG personnel used me to check their repairs for "leaks";
it's to their economic advantage to plug any such leaks or poor contacts. NYSEG
in my old rural area (I'm now in AZ) was very ham friendly. It didn't hurt that
hams and ham-Scouters had infiltrated higher NYSEG admin leve
 ls years ago, but NYSEG provides an excellent example of what a power company
should be in its attitudes toward public relations, hams or otherwise. If the
power company has any sense of responsibility, it will address any concerns
immediately. BTW, NYSEG dismissed BPL long ago as bad technology and bad
economics.

73 de Fred K2FRD

At 1:26 PM -0400 22/5/07, RFI Services wrote:
>Hi Ken,
>Your friend is partially correct.
> I rarely get complaints or sources on 115kv and higher, however my concern
>would be what they will do for you if it does become a problem?
>I've found RFI sources on transmission lines 10 miles from the complaints
>address. I would have an attorney work with you and have them agree to
>hiring an expert to resolve the issue should one begin, including a time
>period for them to respond.
>If it's a power company, call them as if you have a problem on their system
>and see what kind of response you get. That will be the same response you'll
>get if their is a 115kv noise on your property.
>EHV- Transmission lines are also affected by foul weather.
>During the rain as the water/rain approaches the lines there is a discharge
>in the gap between the line and the water droplet. When the water touches
>the line a corona discharge occurs. As the water drops from the line the
>same thing happens again in reverse order. Multiply that times the number of
>rain drops. This is referred to as "foul weather corona". This is one of the
>extremely rare times that corona affects radio. The other is when the corona
>is extremely bad and that's another lesson.
>
>Michael C Martin
>RFI Services
>6469 Old Solomons Island RD
>Tracys Landing, MD 20779
>240-508-3760
>mike@rfiservices.com
>www.rfiservices.com

Editor-Publisher
OCARG EAGLE newsletter for international ham-Scouting news.
"The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
http://ocarg.org  Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@ocarg.org