Re: [RFI] RFI proof audio equipment recommendations

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI proof audio equipment recommendations
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:23:25 -0700
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:47:17 -0500, Craig Thompson wrote:

>Is there a list somewhere of these devices?

Every powered loudspeaker I've ever seen has had RFI, especially to
VHF. It's a combination of lousy shielding, bad circuit layout, and
pin 1 problems. You can fix the pin 1 problems with ferrites. The
rest of it is the sort of science project you've already
experienced.

See my RFI tutorial for specific suggestions about how to go after
all of this stuff, including filters for the telco line.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

There's an ad in the new QST for RFI-proofed computer speakers. West
Mountain, I think.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC