[RFI] RFI proof audio equipment recommendations

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI proof audio equipment recommendations
From: Craig Thompson <craig@thompsonet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:26:39 -0500
Thanks for the replies. Jim...your RFI tutorial is right at my side as I solved
these issues. And Bill...there is hope. We have a wireless phone system that
seems immune to RFI/EMI. And the same system is reinforced in the archives,the
Uniden 5.8 GHz system. The V-Tech stuff not recommended. Also, I have called
West Mountain Radio and you can't place an order until they are in stock. I
will be calling them back around Sept. 1st. They said to watch their website
for ordering.
The SubWoofer is a terrible design from an EMI standpoint. Case is plastic,
audio is rectified in the output stage. Any wire is an antenna. I stopped the
pickup from the speaker and cable with a ferrite wound with the cable as well
as replacing the cable with twisted pair. The input cable is still a problem. I
tried bypass caps and ferrites...it is just a big antenna for the case. The
inputs are unbalanced and the shield does go to the case. I took aluminum foil
and lined the plastic case. I can now transmit aiming right at it with full
power and not pick up anything except when I add the input cable...but that is
unterminated. So it may be ok..have yet to test it with it connected to the
preamp out.
I still would like to hear from someone that has a subwoofer that does not pick
up any RF. I don't need science projects!! I want to work DX and contest.
73, Craig
K9CT